Saturday, September 10, 2005

B.W.'s Book Report: 'Never Let Me Go'

You are a typical teenager growing up at an exclusive, secluded school. It's an academy for a special group of children who are being raised for a special purpose.

I bought "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro based on the description of the plot that I read in the book club flier. The description spelled out for me just what is special about these young people. It became clear to me as I read the book that I wasn't supposed to know that; I was supposed to come to a realization about their special purpose slowly, as the story unfolded.

As an experiment, I loaned the book to a friend who had enjoyed Ishigoro's "The Remains of the Day" but knew nothing about this novel. The book's surprise came as a complete surprise to her. And she loved the book, too.

Much as the publicity about "The Truman Show" a few years back explained the film's secret, the book club robbed me of the surprise. Or did it?

Here's the thing: I would not have purchased the book if I didn't know it is a science fiction novel about an alternate present-day reality. I can't say they robbed me of something I otherwise would not have experienced, so I forgive the book club.

On the other hand, I just told you only part of the secret, without revealing the nature of the special academy. Seems there's a middle ground there somewhere.

Bottom line: I read "Never Let Me Go" last winter, and when I found it on my book shelf this morning, I had a rush of good feeling about this gentle, haunting, extremely well-written novel. It took just a quick glance through the pages to remember how much I cared about Kathy, Tommy and Ruth, and why. This book will linger in your heart for a long time.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home