Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Burning movie tickets in the gas tank?

I have a theory, which we can test this weekend. I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong.

I recently heard the executive producer of Serenity say, on the podcast The Signal, that the film's $10 million opening weekend was disappointing. I was surprised that he said they were only expecting $15 million, but when a movie falls 33 percent of expectations, you have a problem.

My theory is that Mission Impossible III will fall at least 33 percent short of expectations this weekend, because something is happening now that was also happening Sept. 30, when Serenity opened: Gasoline is selling for about $3 a gallon.

Despite all the assurances that most people are unaffected by the jump in gas prices, the money has to be diverted from somewhere; we're not all just running up our credit cards, although that certainly must be a factor. I'm guessing that we're spending fewer dollars on stuff like going to the movies. Let's check back on that Sunday night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting hypothesis. I'd say a conflating factor, though, is Tom Cruise, who seems intent on becoming the Nutjob King. I think many people are tired of him and won't see the movie because of that.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home