Saturday, May 13, 2006

Oh boy, it's a music meme

Over at Yak Attack lewlew has launched a new opportunity to make lists, and I love lists, especially music lists. Heck, High Fidelity is one of my favorite books in part because of all the music lists. So here goes with my answers to this list:

What three sad songs make you feel happy anyway?
"The Mercy Seat" by Johnny Cash
"Happy Together" by The Turtles *
"Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning
(* It sure is sad - look it up!)

What is the silliest song that you enjoy?
JUST ONE?
"Witch Doctor" by David Seville
"They're Coming to Take Me Away" by Napoleon XIV
"Bohemian Polka" by Weird Al Yankovic

What song are you almost embarrassed to admit you like?
"Boogie Oogie Oogie" by A Taste of Honey. See? Now you're embarrassed to know me.

Who put on the top three concerts you've ever seen?
1. John McEuen and Jimmy Ibbotson with special guest Vassar Clements. Ohmygod, I was smiling for weeks afterward.
2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - I stopped going to concerts for almost 20 years in part because I knew it was impossible to see a better one (Hey, who knew John and Jimmy and Vassar were up to that challenge?)
3. Sara Groves with special guest Joel Hansen - if you have any interest in contemporary Christian music, Sara is someone you have to check out.

What is the weirdest album you've ever owned?
Boy, that's a tough one, I love weird. Let's go with "Audio Fidelity Sound Effects, Vol. 1."

What song gets your blood racing?
JUST ONE?
The obvious one: "Born to Run" by Springsteen.
An obscure one: "I'm the Ocean" by Neil Young.

If you have a favorite band from your region, who are they?
Assuming the answer should be more regional than "The E Street Band," I'll say Joe Gruschecky & the Houserockers.

Name one song from the year you were born that you like:
You don't know it, but this is a trick question, so here's a trick answer: "Good Lovin'" by the Young Rascals.

Name one song your whole family enjoys:
"I'm Henry VIII I Am." (Or should that go up with the "embarrassed" question?)

Name one song that reminds you of a good friend:
"Thunder Road" by Springsteen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Louie, Louie" is my answer.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The snolfs love They're Coming to Take me Away—in fact, a while back someone had linked to a bunch of mp3 versions and takeoffs, so now I have several even weirder version of the song, including the obligatory backwards rendition.

Very interesting list, B.W.; and now I'm off to check out the Turtles song as you suggest.

10:58 AM  
Blogger lewlew said...

"Boogie Oogie Oogie" by A Taste of Honey. I like that song, too. We're in good company =).

All our boys went through a Weird Al phase, and out of his playlist, Bohemian Polka was one of my favorite. I'm also mad about Yoda, but then Lola is one of my favorite Kinks songs.

Thank you for playing, B.W.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home