Monday, July 17, 2006

The light bulb pops on

I've been exposed in recent months to a small handful of books and programs about time management and goal-setting, and they all boil down to this: Decide what your priorities are and do the most important things first. How hard can that be, right?

We inevitably seem to get bogged down in unimportant tasks and other people's emergencies. "Don't do that," the time coaches argue. How hard can that be, right?

I sat down a few minutes ago to set the priorities for the day and it was a nice little exercise - the wage-slave tasks seem a little less daunting and I have a plan to slough through them. Then, when I turned to bang out some quick thoughts for this space, I had an epiphany: Those aren't my priorities, they're an organized to-do list for the job.

At least in my head, my top priority has been to find an alternative to my wage-slave job that would enable me to keep paying the bills. When I sit down to work out my daily tasks based on my priorities, I haven't been including tasks that would lead toward my personal freedom - which, as we've been concluding lately, is the only freedom I have any control over. Because I haven't been treating it as a real priority - it's simply been the item at the top of my wish list.

Only one sure way to make wishes come true has ever been found: Don't sit around wishing, work to make the wish a reality. How hard can that be, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How hard can that be?" Ha! Seems like every time I ask this, it's an invitation to make the "that" all the more challenging.

All the same, it's progress that you've made that realization. I predict action will follow ... but speaking as one who's barely ahead of you down that road, be prepared for the transition to take some time—and not to proceed as you plan.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone be free if they are waiting for their next check from their master?

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, they can still be free lots of ways ... especially if he or she is actively working to eliminate the dependence on that "next check".

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunni, you might be right, however, when they get that paycheck they have also contributed - through deductions - plenty of their fruits to feeding the federal hand that bites them.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home