Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Car wreck

Toy Story 2 is one of my favorite movies - not just one of my favorite animated movies, favorite movies period. I loved Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles. In fact, the Pixar crew is probably the only movie company I'm actually a fan of. People don't say "Oh cool, I'm going to that new Miramax flick" or "Oh boy! It's a Universal." But I do say, "Hey, it's a Pixar movie, I should check it out."

But the other day, 15 minutes into Cars, I pressed "eject." I'm still trying to figure out why.

Was I just in the wrong mood? Don't think so - we slapped in Real Women Have Curves instead and had a good ol' time. I sure wasn't offended or anything like that.

It's just that 15 minutes into the story of the cocky race car that learns humility, I was - dare I say it? - bored. I think my problem was that the point about the cocky race car was made in the first five minutes, and 10 minutes later he still was nowhere near to starting on his road to redemption. At this point in my life, I suppose my patience with arrogance has worn thin. Lightning McQueen quickly became uninteresting, and I didn't care to find his redeeming qualities.

Of course, I don't get NASCAR either.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to Cars that you did, B.W. The kids and Lew enjoyed the movie very much, but the first 30 minutes bored me to tears.

I finally started the movie further into the plot, and then I enjoyed the rest of the story, but I still wasn't really excited about it. It's definitely not one of Pixar's best movies.

I think it's because I had a hard time identifying with the anthropomorphic cars. They looked just like cars, except with a face pressed on the front. It's difficult to get all warm and fuzzy about metal, plastic and rubber.

12:59 PM  
Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

I did hold onto the DVD rather than ship it straight back to Netflix, for just that reason - maybe I'll pick it up abut a half-hour through and see if it gets better.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home