Monday, August 22, 2005

Serenity/Firefly: From the sublime to the ridiculous

The cats woke me up by trapping a mouse in the dining room. I ruined their fun by getting the poor thing out of the house with a plastic cup and a magazine, and then I couldn't get back to sleep right away. So in the dark of night, I've been exploring online and found a couple of interesting tidbits about Serenity, the upcoming feature film that continues the adventures of the stalwart crew of a Firefly-class spaceship 500 years in the future.

First, a new fan offers up a marvelous summary of why this movie is becoming the most-anticipated film in my life in years.

His thoughts parallel mine in many ways, especially: "I miss Firefly, and it's already been gone for a long time. For me, I only have to wait a few more weeks before I get to see the story continue on the silver screen. I actually feel bad for those fans who discovered the show far earlier than me, who literally had to wait years."

I promised the sublime and the ridiculous, so here is a look at a labor of love that is downright, well, it's a labor of love: the Serenity rendered in Legos.

Sept. 30 can't come soon enough for me, though. I am proud to say I have converted three people to Firefly since I bought the DVD set earlier this summer, and I won't stop talking about it. I don't know if Joss Whedon and company could have maintained the quality of the show if it had survived more than 14 episodes, but the point is the show was killed before its time, and its upcoming translation to the big screen proves that sometimes, there is justice in the world after all.

The latest trailer is worth the long wait for download. Even if you're not a browncoat yet, this should whet your appetite. As for me, it made me almost nuts for Sept. 30 to arrive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home