Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Top Ten Lines in Serenity


Two things amaze me: The number of writers I have seen declaring Serenity the best science fiction film to come along in years, and the number of people who aren't flocking to theaters to see it.

As of Sunday night, the great great Joss Whedon flick was No. 12 at the box office, having pulled in $22.3 million in 17 days. Even in this anemic year for Hollywood, far lesser science fiction films have made twice that much money in their opening weekends. What's up with this? I can only pray that the international box office and DVD sales justify continuing the fabulous story that began with the "Firefly" TV show.

I still can't talk to Sweetie about the movie because she still hasn't seen it, and I've promised not to post spoilers here. But, so that I can share my joy of this movie, I hereby offer my favorite 10 lines from Serenity, taken out of context so they are pretty much meaningless unless you've seen the film. These are the goosebumps, the tear-jerkers, and the laugh-out-louds, sometimes a combination of two or all three.

10. She always did love to dance.

9. (Every gorram word out of Shepherd Book's mouth.)

8. Shepherd Book used to tell me: If you can't do something smart, do something right.

7. My turn.

6. "Oh god! I can't know that!" "I could stand to hear a little more ..."

5. I aim to misbehave.

4. What was that?

3. I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.

2. Hell with this. I'm gonna live.

1. She's tore up plenty. But she'll fly true.

No. 1 is No. 1 because it takes a moment to realize they're not just talking about the ship, they're also (perhaps mostly) talking about the character who speaks that line. I love that line because of how the emotions wash over and through us as that realization sinks in.

How many great lines flash past you in one hour, 59 minutes? I had to cull this top 10 list from a pile of about two dozen great lines - and if I do it again tomorrow, I'll probably have a dramatically different top 10. What a great film!

I have only three more nights to see it before it leaves my neighborhood screens - after Friday it's a day trip to find a theater - so I hope to get there at least a fourth time before then, maybe a fifth if I get in a lunatic mood. Then it's wait for the DVD, which reliable sources say will be released Dec. 20. Guess what's the only thing on my Christmas list?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"2. Hell with this. I'm gonna live."

Everyone in the theater roared at this one! It's most definately one of my favorites.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Four times, so far. And the week is still young... :)

Thanks for the Dec 20 date. That'll be easy to remember; it's only five days after The Bill of Rights Day!!! I'll be looking forward to both now.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home