Monday, November 28, 2005

Hooray for Claire

I thought I'd let it sink in for a couple of weeks before I said anything out loud about Claire Wolfe's announcement that her "YULE GIFT TO MYSELF this year is going to be Silence. Sometime around December 21, I'm getting rid of both my Internet connection and my land-line telephone."

Part of my daily routine has been checking in on Wolfesblog a time or three to see if there's any new news and comment to think about. And there damn well usually is. From the Hardyville Film Festival to her great book about escaping the job culture, Claire has been an invaluable source for this budding rebel.

My first reaction was surprise and disappointment; having only recently found this nifty writer and entertaining source of important information - but then I saw the sense in it and applauded jealously.

She had actually given us a bit of a warning two days earlier with a short entry that began with these wise words:

UNINTERRUPTED TIME TO THINK, REFLECT, AND CREATE is not a luxury -- though we have allowed it to become one. In setting up contitions of ceaseless, artificial hustle-bustle, do-it-now, interrupt this to do that, we've removed something crucial from being human.

I found myself yearning for uninterrupted time to think, reflect and create, and two days later I found myself cheering for someone who cries out loud, "I'm taking this time and you can't stop me, thank you very much."

Good for you, Claire. I look forward to your return and the fruits of your time away, but don't hurry back on our account. I'll very likely be trying to find a way to follow your example.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wally Conger said...

I'll very likely be trying to find a way to follow your example.

Don't you f'n DARE!!!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was disturbed to read that Claire was going silent again - this isn't the first time she's done it - until I read that she would still be blogging a couple of times a week.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home