Friday, April 07, 2006

Junk food vs. fine steak

Vache Folle's been on a roll lately IMHO. Ever since he stepped outside the box and related some major sticky issues to dead babies, it's been an interesting ride, from exploring the metaphor of Jesus as king to global warming to the business of outer space and the perception vs. reality of child molesters.

Your humble servant, meanwhile, has been sputtering along. I think I had something to say about how liberty can't be squashed the other day, and I hope I've piqued your curiosity about my new little project, but my brain sure hasn't been humming with intriguing ideas like Vache's has.

And now I know why.

In his thoughts about "We soar despite the chains" the other day, Vache let slip:

I am still on my mainstream media fast, so I avoid that toxic drivel. Soon, I will give up TV altogether and spend my idle hours outside until almost bedtime. I can almost forget about the damned government from time to time.

Well, no wonder, says I. I can tell you what I think about President Logan turning out to be the bad guy, and Florida winning the NCAA, and Mandisa getting eliminated before that talentless Bucky guy, and Wilson moving in with House. Oh yes, and I'm two-thirds of the way through Season 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer thanks to DVDs and Netflix. But the words about important things have been slow in emerging from my muddled brain. Even though I've recognized this problem before, I continue to ease myself into that comfortable chair to dull my mind.

There's a crossroads of sorts in my house near the kitchen: I can open the door to the basement and walk down the stairs to my writing space, or I can walk into the living room and grab the remote. I need to muster the resolve to head onward and downward.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Onward and downward, indeed. It can be tough to break habits like that, in large part because we slide into them mindlessly—and keep choosing them mindlessly. Usually, asking myself, "Is this how I want to be using my time right now?" is enough to get me to choose something different.

Now if I'd just ask that question more often. [sigh]

1:02 PM  
Blogger Wally Conger said...

I reward myself regularly with visits to my backyard, surrounded by trees, where I listen to music or Mises.org lectures or other podcasts, or I read. This is accompanied by a good ceegar. Much better than TV or reading newspapers. Unfortunately, the weather around here has largely sucked for the past 10 days. Alas!

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home