Thursday, July 20, 2006

No hoity toity critics to see 'Snakes On A Plane'

The critics won't get to see Snakes on a Plane before the rest of us do. Now I know I once speculated that only turkeys don't get presented to the critics, but I've seen the light.

As David Waldon, who's written a book about the Snakes buzz, explains:

"The movie could very well suck, but they're putting a very creative spin as to why they're not showing it ... And even if the movie does suck, it goes along with the whole thing."

There's a certain genre of movie that it's kind of silly for critics to review, since a review by definition requires the film to be taken seriously. And, as better observers than I have noted, all you need to know about Snakes on a Plane is the title. You're either going, or you're not, when it opens Aug. 18. I think I'm going.

I turned out to be right about why Ultraviolet wasn't shown to the critics ahead of time, or was I? Upon further review (oops- no pun intended) I was converted to some appreciation for the Milla Jovovich vehicle, even if I don't think it's a great flick. It's not even great-bad like Plan 9 in Outer Space, but it's an interesting ride.

While we're on the subject, you have heard that Slither comes out on DVD Oct. 24, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home