Friday, January 05, 2007

Yeah. This is me.

The experiment with the white background and serif type just didn't feel right for me. I guess I'm just a sans-serif kinda guy.

A bright outlook just doesn't go with the occasional peek at the encircling darkness like this one: "Marketers get fined over big fat ads":

Several diet pill marketers agreed to pay nearly $25 million to settle allegations of false and misleading advertising. Among the targets of the Federal Trade Commission action are several New Jersey companies that market some of the best-known diet pills ...

And what was the sin the companies committed to merit this shakedown?

The ads promised to "make the impossible possible" and "reshape your body and energize your life."

They promised their product would aid your efforts at weight loss.

And they had paid actors stand up and tell you that taking the pills worked. And the FTC thinks you're too stupid to realize it's a sales pitch, so they punish the companies for lying to you.

"Testimonials from individuals are not a substitute for science," Majoras added. "And that's what Americans need to understand."

Thank goodness the FTC is stepping in to protect me from snake-oil salesmen. I don't know what we Americans did before the government decided it needed to think for us. Now I hope it goes after the companies that suggest I may get a four-hour erection if I take their pills - come on over here Sweetie and let's check this out - and tell me how my life will change if I buy that car over there, and promise me I'll be surrounded by aroused women if I drink this beer or wear these clothes or soak in that cologne.

Once again we sacrifice lambs at the altar of nanny government. Today the lambs are the people who might have been paid with that $25 million. No doubt another branch of government will be prepared to help them find new jobs.

4 Comments:

Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

Well ... this was originally black with white lettering - should I go back to the beginning???

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Generally, I prefer the original to the remake.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I can jump into the fray here ... while I like the look of black background and white text, my aging eyes find it harder to read, particularly for any significant length of time.

I like the blue; it does seem to suit you. Truth be told, I didn't even notice the switch to a serif font. I tend to prefer them, although research suggests good sans-serifs are easier for online reading.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Michael Jarrell said...

Ditto, on the blue, I've missed it. Like Sunni, my eyes ain't what they used to be, (I have an unfilled prescription for bifocals around here somewhere...). That said, there's no reason you couldn't experiment with different styles. There are a lot of unique templates out there that don't require a superior knowledge of html to set up. Maybe do a new template each week or month until you find one you like.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home