Friday, March 02, 2007

Under the spreading chestnut tree II

I've been away from the Montag desk for a few days, and this isn't likely to feel like you've been rewarded for checking back ... sorry. I'll make it up to you.

Last year around now, I lamented the amount of time I was spending in front of the TV screen but predicted that Chris Daughtry and Taylor Hicks would be in the American Idol finals. Having not learned my lesson from a year ago, I am again spending an inordinate amount of time in front of the glowing box and have again drawn some conclusions about the annual singing competition.

Melinda Doolittle versus Lakisha Jones. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephanie Edwards or Sabrina Sloan in there, either. Long shot, Jordin Sparks. I wouldn't be surprised if these five ladies end up as the "final five," they're that far ahead of their competitors. What I would be surprised to see is any of this year's sorry collection of male vocalists anywhere near the finale. Tuesday nights, when the men perform, are excruciating; Wednesday nights are electrifying.

With my attention fixated on young singers and the mainstream media fixated on who the Tweedledee and Tweedledum parties are going to nominate for president next year, I have no doubt that Congress and the administration are busy stripping us of what's left of our freedom. Serves us right, I suppose. Pass me some bread, the circus is on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Britney Spear's hourly bald head report and the continuing saga of burying Anna Nicole Smith. Smith has received, on par, as much media coverage as the war in Iraq.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot... step slowly away from the glowing box. Turn and run without looking back. You can escape her lovely siren song of destruction. Just don't look back =).

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home