Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Whither Serenity?

With the Dec. 20 U.S. release of the DVD, the hope is that sales will supplement the relatively disappointing box office for Serenity to the point where a sequel is justified.

As Wally Conger and others noted last week, one option floating out there in cyberspace is, if not on the big screen, maybe one or more TV-movie sequels could fill the demand for more adventures of Malcolm Reynolds and his crew. I think this would be terrific - assuming Joss Whedon is still in charge and the original cast is on hand.

I think the Star Trek people - who seemingly milked the cash cow to death - missed an opportunity by not taking the TV-movie route. A number of ideas that may not have sustained a big-screen blockbuster could have fit the small screen nicely - I'm especially thinking of the adventures of Capt. Sulu of the starship Excelsior.

I have to admit, though, I think Serenity would be a fitting conclusion to the Firefly saga if the pieces of the puzzle don't fall into place. As Orson Scott Card put it so well, "I'm not going to say it's the best science fiction movie, ever. Oh, wait. Yes I am." So far, every episode of the TV show, and the film, have moved and entertained me in a way no other TV show and few films ever have. If it ended now, gorram it, I wanted to see it continue, but if it ended now, gorram it, that was an excellent ride, if way too short.

Bottom line, though, if the Sci-Fi Channel is willing to do it right, let's see those TV movies and soon!

Wish I could be somewhere near Burbank this weekend ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home