Sunday, March 12, 2006

If they could read our minds ...

I walk into the coffee shop near my office and someone new is behind the counter. I look in her eyes and they are a liquid green. I can't maintain eye contact because I am worried she will be able to see the rush of desire that flashed from my eyes to my gut and points south as soon as I looked into those eyes.

To try to change the subject my loins have raised, my eyes dart to an overall view of her lovely face, to her chest which is not overly busty but is very pleasingly proportioned, to her hip-hugging jeans above which just a sliver of her flat belly is showing. Nowhere am I safe; anywhere my eyes come to rest produces a surge of lust, a surge I have no intention or interest in pursuing but which I cannot turn off. I remind myself I'm old enough to be her father, and the thought of fathering makes the sensation stronger.

I'm fairly confident none of these emotions play across my face, but it is all I can do to muster, "Hi! A small medium-roast coffee, please." When she gives me the change for my two bucks, the touch of her fingers on my palm is like an electric shock. Damn hormones.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hormones" is right!

From February's National Geographic came these words, "Scientists say that the brain chemistry of infatuation is akin to mental illness—which gives new meaning to "madly in love.""

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/
ngm/0602/feature2/

They've found that infatuation, or "limerence" as some call it (see http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Limerence), actually causes a 40% reduction in the level of serotonin, the same as with Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder patients!!

Again, from the online portion of the article, "Love lights up the caudate nucleus because it is home to a dense spread of receptors for a neurotransmitter called dopamine, which Fisher came to think of as part of our own endogenous love potion. In the right proportions, dopamine creates intense energy, exhilaration, focused attention, and motivation to win rewards. It is why, when you are newly in love, you can stay up all night, watch the sun rise, run a race, ski fast down a slope ordinarily too steep for your skill. Love makes you bold, makes you bright, makes you run real risks, which you sometimes survive, and sometimes you don't."

Enjoy the dopamine for now, but for those low levels of serotonin get some l-tryptophan or some 5-HTP before they get too low!!

'Course there's always Prozac!

:)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Vache Folle said...

Enjoy the sensations while you still have them.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home