Monday, March 20, 2006

Risky investments

So I'm driving along the Interstate, doing my usual 70 in a place where it's down to two lanes each way, when along comes an odd procession in the left lane.

In the front is a Ford Explorer, gotta be doing 75 because he passes me in a hurry. A few inches behind his back bumper is a Dodge minivan, and a few inches behind the Dodge is a Lexus SUV. They zip along ahead of me, and even though there's plenty of room in the right lane, they all stay in the left lane, at least for the mile or so before they are out of my sight. They're all making a point, and they're staying put and making it.

I'm thinking I'm looking at $75,000, $80,000 or more worth of vehicle and here are three drivers willing to risk their lives and their investments to say to each other, "Pull over, asshole."

I suppose if their insurance is paid up, it's an example of how people don't care about wasting money, this time on hospital and vehicle repair bills, if somebody else is paying the tab. But what about the pain and/or lack of breathing that might ensue should something go wrong at 75 mph while you're inches away from two other 75-mph vehicles?

Refusing to be afraid is a good thing - but it's important to refuse to be stupid, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vache Folle said...

And don't forget that they may very well get you killed in the process as well. At a minimum, they will cause a traffic jam and inconvenience you and they will render your own commute more stressful than necessary. I regard tailgating as assault.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home