Tuesday, September 26, 2006

More than an absence

The death of a parent seems to bring moments of clarity, as a review of the life now concluded allows for an opportunity to seek meaning. L. Neil Smith's "Death of a Generation" is a such a moment of clarity, and a brilliant one at that. (And thanks to Sunni for making sure we saw it.)

I wonder about one of Smith's conclusions, though: "An early intuition I once had, that libertarianism is not an ideology, but the absence of one, was correct." Is liberty really best defined by the absence of restrictions?

This morning, I have only the question. More to come, I hope, as time goes by.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've thought about that a lot myself, B.W., and so far I've not found a better way to succinctly define freedom. But I'm still thinking and reading and looking ...

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home