Sunday, March 11, 2007

Things that happen

Background music: "Blue Sunday," Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

I finally had my basement nook set up the way I wanted it. My computer and stereo were linked together in ways that enabled me to do all sorts of unspeakably convenient things. So, of course, the melting snow had to leak into the house in a way that the only way to clean up the water was to disconnect my computer from the stereo and move the music equipment out of the way.

So, when I sat down to write this morning, given the usually gleeful choice of composing the Great American Novel or the great American blog essay or doing my day-job homework (and I enjoy the day-job homework lately), my brain could focus on none of the above. I can't reconnect the stereo until the lingering moisture evaporates off the floor. The stereo tower is temporarily stashed looming just over my right shoulder, a constant reminder of last night's minor disaster.

Surfing the Web gave me much to think about, good reading and all, but the brain-block didn't dissolve. A couple of games of computer chess only exposed how much I have to learn about that game. I did get my household finances updated - love that Quicken - but that isn't the prettiest picture in the world, either. I would go upstairs and start reading "The Tomb" - I finally decided it's time to find out what the big fuss is over Repairman Jack - but Sweetie is in almost-spring-cleanup mode and will surely frown on my sitting in a corner "doing nothing."

Checkmate? Am I stuck in the basement staring at a blank sheet of paper, err, a computer image of a blank sheet of paper? Outside the sun is shining with the surest promise of spring we've had so far. Perhaps a walk in the sun will shake these damnable cobwebs from my mind.

What does the sultry photo of Fay Wray have to do with my blue funk, you ask? What a silly question! Few things make a blue funk more bearable than gazing at a beautiful woman. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a sunny day to walk through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home