Thursday, September 11, 2008

Treading water

Well.

Ahem.

You know that old cliché, "When God closes a door, he opens a window"? The doors and windows have been acting strangely lately.

As you probably know, there's this day job that keeps the FRNs coming into the house at a steady enough pace to keep the wolves from the door, and there are a variety of projects, some completed, many not, that I have undertaken in an effort to free myself from the day job eventually.

Lately, almost all that the closed windows and open doors have done is pull me deeper into the day job. You know, the one I've described as the wage-slave job. I don't hate it, I enjoy the people I slave away with, but it's not my first choice for spending most of my day. But, to be redundant again and repeat myself, those FRNs keep the wolves from the door.

There is this one window that's open a crack: An enthusiastic friend (no, not that one) has an idea for a book. If I try to creak that window open further, the other two book projects would creep farther behind. And of course, all three projects are hampered by the time commitment required to bring in the FRNs and keep the wolves out.

But that's the current picture: All of the doors and windows have been closed except the ones that involve working on someone else's ideas. On the other hand, a well-rewarded salesman often said, "You can have anything you want if you help enough other people get what they want." So maybe what I want has to wait.

It's the proverbial dilemma. But that's why I've been silent the past few days, and why this might be a silent or infrequently updated place for a while. I am open to other alternatives; my deepest desire is to fill in the blanks between the front and back covers of the projects I posted at the top of this page, but there seem not to be enough hours in a day. Tell me what I'm missing; how do I reorder the hours to get it all done?

Humble apologies for the intense navel-gazing and the downer tone on a site that I'd prefer to be encouraging to you. I wanted to post something new, though, and this was all I got.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me what I'm missing; how do I reorder the hours to get it all done?

Appears to me that you aren't missing anything, really; you yourself wrote that there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. Sometimes there simply isn't enough time to get to everything you'd like to do, on top of what one needs to do.

But then, sometimes things are in the "need to do" category because they've become familiar, rather than necessary. Is watching certain shows in the "need to do" category for you? Do you really, consciously choose to watch a program instead of working on any of your creative endeavors? Would you be willing (and able) to function on less sleep, in order to have the time to get a project completed sooner?

Just askin' ... take good care, m'friend.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean the terrorist quotidian has won?

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home