Sunday, November 16, 2008

A new proverb: You have to see what you see

I got confused by a headline today. I saw the middle of it and expected it to say "Who will get the rest of the $700B bailout?" But then my brain saw "Where will get the rest of the $700B bailout go?"

I started to tell Sweetie that someone screwed up writing the headline, but taking a closer look, I realized the word "get" wasn't there. I expected to see it, so I inserted it, but the headline really said in correct grammar, "Where will the rest of the $700B bailout go?"

It was then when my brain blurted out a new proverb: "Wow, your brain will tell you what you want to see, but you have to see what you see."

Your brain will tell you what you want to see. But you have to see what you see.

Pretty sound advice, and applicable to much more than simple headline reading, IMHO. I think my brain has earned its pay today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home