Friday, October 27, 2006

Breaking news: Laws of physics still apply

I have seen some really, really stupid news stories as the nannies move from the successful rights-stripping of smokers, and the business owners who cater to them, and begin to focus their attention on overweight folks. But this one may just be the stupidest news story I've ever seen.

Want to spend less at the pump? Lose some weight. That's the implication of a new study that says Americans are burning nearly 1 billion more gallons of gasoline each year than they did in 1960 because of their expanding waistlines. Simply put, more weight in the car means lower gas mileage.

I'm not arguing about the logic - anyone who has ever grokked the most basic physics lesson knows that the heavier an object is, the more energy, i.e., fuel, it will take to move it, let alone bring it up to 70 mph.

It's the concept that going on a diet will make a significant difference in the gas mileage of the one-ton or two-ton machine you use to travel to work.

Easy example. In 1980 I weighed 160 pounds and drove a 1975 Pontiac Bonneville. Today I weigh 220 and drive a Dodge Stratus. Which "me" was burning more gas - the skinny me or the middle-aged me?

"If only we had laws against obesity!!!" the trim young thing screamed at the portly guy in the Geo as she eased herself behind the wheel of her Cadillac Escalade.

What next?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this news story too, and couldn't help but laugh.

Idjits. But too many people will unthinkingly swallow the message ...

11:21 AM  
Blogger lewlew said...

I love the artwork!

Skinny, teenaged me drove a 1974 Duster. It was a lovely muscle car with lots of oomph and a thirst for gas. Luckily, back then, scraping $5 worth of change from the back seat crevice, my friends' pockets, and the ash tray crap hole bought enough gas to "just" keep me going.

Almost middle-aged me, with nice, fluffy curves, drives a much more gas friendly car. I park far away from places and walk. I'd rather take the bus downtown than drive by myself. Lew and I carpool. But age, and a (not so) secret love affair with chocolate keeps me nice and fluffy. I could walk everywhere I need to go, and I'd still be fluffy.

2:34 AM  
Blogger jomama said...

Fat folks are some of my most unfavorite people. The human form should at least be pleasant to look at.

Now there I went and stated my own personal view.

Sure as shit, some Dull Spark stood up in the back of the room and said, "Yea, there orta be a law agin it."

1:52 PM  
Blogger ng2000 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home