Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A slap upside the head

A firestorm of emotions these past 16-17 hours. The darkest fear of every wage slave has come true, and I've been told to do something I absolutely disagree with. Nothing illegal, just wrong. Sweetie says there must be a way to compromise and do the deed without betraying my values (I'm not sure that's possible) and if not, I should just cave to the demand and get serious about shopping the resume around. She is not ready to support my simply saying, "No, this is wrong, I refuse," and let the chips fall, and while I don't blame her, I must admit that leaves me with a very lonely feeling.

So. If you might have a use for an award-winning, middle-aged writer, journalist and editor, or if you know anyone who might have such a use, I'd sure appreciate an e-mail. I can tell you a little more about me if you're serious.

It's a focusing moment. I have long known my dream job was becoming a nightmare, and that I should do something about that, but late last night, crying helpless tears of frustration, I think I finally clicked the "on" switch on the "do something about that" drive. I have made a few weak stabs at it over the past year, but my full attention is had at last.

Therefore it was a lovely surprise to wake up this morning and find that Sunni's Salon for September/October is here. The feature interview with Marc J. Victor was so invigorating, I forgot my conundrum for a few minutes and actually felt a bit of hope that the sun'll come up tomorrow, even in this dark land we all inhabit and in this dark place I've stumbled into. Victor has sound advice about choosing your battles carefully and the way things oughtta be.

I'd like to give you more details about the choices before me, but they're not important. At several points in our lives, I think we wage slaves all have to make choices that involve doing the right thing, and here I am at one of those points. I'll keep you posted as best I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home