Friday, September 29, 2006

All is not quite lost

I have been known to try too hard to put a positive spin on situations. Maybe it's the ghost of Ma Bluhm singing "Happy Talk" in my ear (and if you have no idea what that reference is, may I recommend my podcasting partner and "voice," Warren Bluhm's, new venture, "Uncle Warren's Attic."

Whatever it is, I have two teeny-tiny more-or-less positive things to toss into the vat of recent bad news. One is Hemp hand lotion, a product I have found at two different Wal-Marts in two different states last weekend. The stores also had some Hemp hair products on the shelves as well.

From the back label: "Malibu Hemp Hand Protector is a premium hand skin care lotion with lavish amounts of THC-Free Virgin Hemp Seed Oil to cultivate your hands with essential hydration."

OK, I admit it's a small triumph, but it felt good to walk into Wal-Mart and buy something with a list of ingredients that includes "Hemp seed (cannabis sativa)." All is not quite lost.

My other little triumph, and I admit it's even smaller than the first one, is that to the best of my knowledge there has not yet been a general roundup and arrest of people who have publicly declared that we are fast moving toward, if not actually living in, a fascistic totalitarian state. In other words, freedom of speech is not completely dead yet. I can still call people like George W. Bush and Edward Kennedy, for example, tyrants and traitors to the principles America was founded on, without being carted off to political prison.

Hey, I'm trying to be positive here - howcome you're still looking so glum? Just because they've pretty much finished repealing the Constitution and moved on to repealing the Magna Carta - why the long face? Freedom is still a flicker of light in the darkness, even this overcast night with an eclipse of the moon that we're living in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the attempt to put a positive spin on something, but it doesn't work for all of us.

First, there is no such thing as "THC-free hemp." "THC-free" is a legal definition that indicates the level of THC is below the threshold of 0.03%. As chemist Daryl Cobranchi said, "There is no such thing as zero concentration. Pretty much everything contains everything else. Even the air we breathe is likely to contain a molecule or two of Delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol (the active ingredient). Analytical chemistry has lowered detection limits to unbelievable levels these days. Modern techniques can easily detect parts-per-billion and often down into the parts-per-quadrillion."

As a holder of a commercial driver's license (CDL), I am subject to random drug tests. If I am involved in an accident I get the full workup. I flunk the urine test if I have a mere 50 nanograms of THC in one milliliter of urine. (That's 0.000000050 grams of THC in one ml. of urine.) The confirmation second test requires that I exhibit only 15 ng/ml to flunk. (That's 0.000000015 grams of THC in one milliliter of my urine.)

Now here's the kicker: NO MATTER WHAT THE SOURCE OF THE THC.

Now, if I ingest one of the Hemp energy bars, or use the lotions you referred to (which I purchased at a Wal-Mart last spring, BTW) and don't wash my body well enough before taking the test, I lose my license and my livelyhood. Not for getting high and putting the public in danger but for using a politically-incorrect product.

The DOT doesn't want the use of legal products to cloud the issue when it comes to their authority.

But thanks for trying.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home