Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Where the power lies

It seemed like a good time to watch V for Vendetta again. Then it seemed that V's little televised speech on the fifth of November has a lot of good in it, and I thought just writing it down would be a useful exercise. But I didn't want to sit and transcribe the good parts. I'm lazy that way.

So I Googled the screenplay and found an early draft of the script. The early version has some good stuff, too ...

"Right now, I imagine there are hundreds of soldiers rushing here to kill me because someone does not want us to talk. They are afraid that I am going to say the things that are not supposed to be said. They are afraid that I am going to say the truth.

"The truth is that there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? If you look about, you witness cruelty, injustice and despotism. But what do you do about it? What can you do?

"You are but a single individual. How can you possible make any difference? Individuals have no power in this modern world. That is what you've been taught because that is what they need you to believe. But it is not true.

"This is why they are afraid and the reason that I am here; to remind you that it is individuals who always hold the power. The real power. Individuals like me. And individuals like you."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The truth is that there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? If you look about, you witness cruelty, injustice and despotism.

And today we read Bush's poll numbers are rising as fuel prices fall.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Michael Jarrell said...

I think it's becoming painfully obvious that we've become a nation of Evey's. Helpless and stunned are the norm for most folks, as the powers that be continue down their chosen paths.

8:16 AM  
Blogger jomama said...

Nice.

Now if that will just sink into a few more individuals...

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home